Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wacky wikis

I have to admit, I like the idea of wikis, but have always had trouble actually contributing to them. I think that they could be very useful in many ways in libraries, in order to gather the collective information of the staff - we know so many things, and wikis are a way to share what we know. I'm not sure people don't sometimes use wikis when they don't need to, though. There are a few Technical Services wikis out there - they mostly contain the procedures and policies of the department. This isn't really the kind of thing I think a wiki is best used for. There can be only one established policy or procedure, so why suggest that anyone can modify those things? I think there may be some wiki opportunities within Tech Services, but a wiki may work better for discussion of issues before a policy or procedure is codified and entered more permanently into stone. Of course, I may just be a fuddy duddy who needs to realize all decisions will soon be shared decisions and jump on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment